Fantasista Build Part 6

Time for the sixth and final part of my Fantasista build saga.

The model is finished and I have flown it about eight times and I’m delighted with the flight characteristics so far. It flies very smoothly which I think can at least in part be attributed to the fully flying stab.  Anyway, back to the build.

  • image003
  • image001

Because the fuselage is a combination of balsa and glass pieces (nose, canopy surround and bottom of fuselage) there was a fair bit of cleaning up and filling to get it ready for final painting. I decided that the model was looking to be quite light so I decided to use spray putty in a spray can. I used this to build up depressed areas and around the joins between the glass and balsa. Once I was reasonably happy I sprayed white undercoat, again from a spray can, over the entire fuselage then sprayed a mist coat of black to bring up any remaining irregularities. After much more rubbing, filling and spraying I finally sprayed the model with High Viscosity white using a spray gun this time. Then as can be seen from the above photos I painted the bottom black which shows up really well against the Cub yellow and black of the bottom of the wings.

  • image005
  • image007

Initially I set out to get my colours mixed at the local automotive paint shop but when I took my samples of the Hobby King film the quote for colour mixing went up more than I was prepared to pay. I was discussing my dilemma with guys at the field and someone suggested the Tamiya paint from the local hobby shop. Best suggestion I have had for ages, their range is extensive and their colours match exactly with the HobbyKing colours I had chosen. The cans are fairly small, about a third to a half of a regular spray can but at $12.00 a can and with absolutely consistent colour match I reckon they are perfect for the job. I used two red but otherwise just one can of each colour and most are still almost full.

I had a fair bit of trouble getting clean edges and the correct shape of the patterns side to side but I am pretty happy with the result but it is by no means an Oxai type finish.

Once I had all the colours on I clear coated the fuselage with automotive clear -  again, from a can. I was lucky that throughout the painting the weather was fine, hot and still, enabling me to paint outside and apply multiple colours in one day. The masking up was tedious but I used a roll of mask I purchased from Bunnings with the tape already attached and this made the job much easier. I used proper auto masking tape first and then applied the Bunnings stuff over that.

 

  • image011
  • image017
  • image013
  • image019
  • image009
  • image015

Installing servos etc. was just as it is for any model except I had the addition of the flaps which required their own servos. I was happy with the final weight of the wings at 400 gms with two servos. When it came to setting up the C of G I had to add a 60 gms of lead to the stab tube in order to get the CG back to the mark on the plan. I couldn’t move the flight batteries back far enough without the lead as they would have been behind the canopy and impossible to get too. Once fully set up with all servos, leads, switch, OS belt drive and Spin 99  the total weight of the completed model with 5000MA Zippy Compacts came out at 4900gms so I’m more than happy. 

  • finished3
  • finished
  • finished4
  • finished2

I received the kit from Japan around the end of September 2015 so it has taken around five months of fairly consistent work. For the most part it was good fun although I don’t enjoy the painting as much as I enjoy the building. For this build I have done everything including building the model designing and building the battery tray, finishing and painting the model and even hand cutting out all the lettering from sheets of vinyl.

I am a bit enthused about building now so I have decided to go to the other extreme in modelling and build a 84 inch Miss America Old Timer. Only the Stab built so far!

  • image021

Tom Bloodworth

Fantasista Build Part 5

It’s been a while since my last report and unfortunately there have been a couple of problems that have really taken a bit of pleasure away from the build.

Anyway, I’ll start from where I left off. The kit and the plan do not allow for wing adjusters but I made the decision to include them. This necessitated a change in the way the locating dowels in the wing were mounted. The plan shows the dowels mounted in the fuselage but as the wing adjusters are inside the fuselage I had to mount the dowels in the wing root rib.

  • image001
  • image003

Read more ...

Fantasista Build Part 3

The Rudder was very simple as it was flat so could be laid up directly on the building board.

I don’t know what motor the kit was designed for but it wasn’t an OS belt drive using the conventional mounting method. I should have realised the mounting system or nose frame was incompatible before I glued it in but@#$%@#.

Read more ...

Fantasista Build Part 4

Raw fuselage without the canopy came out at 952 gms which I am happy with. Now for the stabs.
Not happy with the design of the stabs where the section changes, there is absolutely no strength as the skins are all cut at that point and the spar it just 2mil balsa. Stupidly I did close up the stabs before fixing this problem but in the end I inserted a carbon strengthener from the underside. Sorry but I forgot to take a photo of this.

  • image005
  • image003

Read more ...

Fantasista Build Part 2

Next task was to glue down the turtle deck sheeting which I did by strapping long dowels on the outside to make sure the sheeting met and was glued to the formers. Sorry I forgot to take a photo of this job.

Read more ...