If you're new to precision aerobatics, just curious or thinking about having a go, this section of our site will point you in the right direction.
Have no doubt about it, flying precision aerobatics will make you a better flyer. But, you must persist and must be willing to accept constructive criticism. These two elements are crucial to your success in this facet of radio control modelling.
Flying and competing in precision aerobatics events will help with the following:
- Positioning the model where you want it to be not the other way around.
- Improved flying skills in varied weather conditions.
- Crashing less often.
- Learning about model set-up and or trimming.
Where to start? At first we would strongly suggest you go to a local event in your state as a spectator. The APA has a National Calendar which lists all the events in most states and also contact details for the event. If you don't see an event close to you please feel free to contact a state representative as noted under our contacts menu. At this event you should introduce yourself to the contest director (CD). He or she will then give you a run down on what we do and how we do it. Don't hesitate to ask other people at the event questions either. You'll find they will be more than happy to answer any questions.
Ok, so you've decided to take the plunge into precision aerobatics... What do you need?
- A current MAAA/FAI licence. Most people will obtain this license via their home club each year. This ensures you are insured.
- A suitable model. Any low wing or shoulder wing sports model is more than adequate.
- A willingness to listen and learn. This is ultra important.
All newcomers will start off in Sportsman. This schedule of manoeuvres is very similar to those flown to obtain your MAAA Gold Wings qualification. Although the schedule is somewhat simple, it presents enough challenges to keep the new pilot interested. You can check out the sportsman schedule here.
Here is a great video explaining what happens at an aerobatic competition?
More Content coming soon!